RE: Sorry not quite a VS question

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Sorry not quite a VS question
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:50:10 -0800
Hi Ratz,

> Do _not_ do that! Linux will choose an IRQ for the PCI slot
> and depending on
> whether the board has SCSI or IDE the IRQ wired routing on
> the local APIC is
> different. Forcing an IRQ on a specific PCI slot makes ASUS
> boards with older
> firmware releases go banana when assigning the IRQ routing,
> especially those
> with a onboard SCSI chip. There you have a reversed
> initialisation phase.

Ok..  so IRQ sharing is FIXED in 99% of situations now?  I can take 2 quad
cards from different manufacturer's and put them in the same box and they
will work on the same IRQ (from the BIOS perspective)?

> Nowadays you can look into the motherboard booklet and see
> the wiring. If you
> intend to put in an additional SCSI card you need to make
> sure that the routing
> is separated. In most 5 to 6 PCI-slot boards, you could for
> example select slot
> 1 and 2 for separation since they are not routed over the
> same chip. It's
> depending on the bridge however.

So SCSI needs to be a seperate IRQ from the rest?  Don't share SCSI.  What
about Firewire or USB2 or ... ;)

> This all changes if you have a SMP board (how could it be any
> different of
> course :)). There you need to distinguish every single
> motherboard factorisation
> to know how to solve the eventual problem of deplaced IRQ
> sharing. It will very
> much depend on the PCI chipset support in the kernel (in
> Windows world this
> would be the busmaster driver).

It pays to buy good SMP boards.  Have you looked at the AMD bus at all?

> I could go on and on and on, ... I spent too many days
> staring at the bus analyzer.

Do the girls know this?  I hope they don't get jealous :))

Thanks for your comments