Re: Problem with LVS DR - 10065 Host is unreachable

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem with LVS DR - 10065 Host is unreachable
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:02:05 +0900
On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 08:44:53AM -0000, Rogers, Paul wrote:

Hi Paul,

I know this wasn't directed to me, but it was sent to the
list so I thought I would help out.

> The set up of the ip addresses on the realservers seems very strange. Can
> you confirm what the submask should be, based on the following.
>
> All servers/clients on the network use a mask of 255.255.248.0 ie RIP1 =
> 10.80.18.44 with 255.255.248.0
>
> Therefore should the mask for 10.80.18.203 on the lo:203 interface be
> 255.255.248.0 or 255.255.255.0?

IMHO it should be 255.255.255.255. I haven't tested it for a while,
but the last time that I checked the netmask of an loopback interface
ment that it would answer all addresses by the network.

e.g. lo 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
     means that the loopback itnerface will answer to all the
     addresses in the range 127.0.0.0 - 127.255.255.255

> How about the mask for 10.80.18.203 on the eth0:203 interface?

I would guess that this one should be 255.255.248.0

> On the basis that there is no DNS, only the host files, what entries should
> be in the hosts tables on the director - VIP, DIP or both? Both RIP's?
>
> How about the real servers?  VIP, DIP or both?

That depends on what hostnames / ipaddresses you need to resolve.
It is possible that the answere is none. But if you are using
host names in configuration files, or doing reverse lookups for
logging or have tcpwrapper in effect then you will need to fill
in /etc/hosts. In reality, it doesn't really hurt to give
all the hosts information about all the other hosts in /etc/hosts,
that is unless it changes and /etc/hosts isn't updated accordingly
on all the machines. Thats really what DNS is for, but you don't seem
to want to use that.

> I tried pinging the real servers from another linux box and no reply, so it
> appears that the Windows clients can see them but not the linux boxes.  I
> suspect this is because the windows clients use WINS to resolve the names
> while the linux boxes can't.

That may be the cause. try using: ping -n <ip_address>
This should eliminate the need for any name resolution by ping.

--
Horms