Re: IP Connection tracking and LVS_DR

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IP Connection tracking and LVS_DR
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:34:24 +0800 (CST)
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Andy Levine wrote:

> Is it absolutely necessary to have IP Connection tracking turned on in
> the kernel if we are using LVR_DR?  We are experiencing performance hits
> with the connection tracking code (especially on SMP boxes) and would
> like to take it out of our kernel.

Yes, it is necessary, if you have performance problem. LVS uses its own
simple and fast connection tracking for performance reasons, instead of
using netfilter connection tracking. So, it will not affect LVS, if
netfilter conntrack modules are not loaded.

> Since we are not using NAT/MASQ on the box and we are not using LVS_NAT,
> I couldn't think of any other reasons we would need it.

LVS/NAT should work too without the conntrack modules.

Regards,

Wensong