RE: Server Application with Primary Server & Backup Server

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Server Application with Primary Server & Backup Server
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:26:13 -0800
Gregor,

> 1. How can I trigger a failover between the primary server
> and the backup
> server?
> Must I turn of heartbeat with /etc/init.d/heartbeat stop or
> is ther another
> availability to do this? (Could it be done with the Heartbeat API?)

I asked the same question a while back and the response was to just
stop/start the service.

Not sure about the API, but hey that sounds like a reasonable thing for an
API to do ;). Perhaps the heartbeat mailing list might provide a clue:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ha&r=1&w=2 <-- archive
"
send a message to linux-ha-subscribe@xxxxxx to subscribe to the list.
"

> 2. If the primary server is back again, a handover from the
> backup server is
> triggered. Is it possible to prevent this behaviour? Or are there some
> reasons for doing this?

This is the nice_failback setting in ha.cf.  Having lerked on the mailing
list @ linux-ha for a while I can tell you it seems the developers recommend
keeping this setting ON.  Default is off..

> Please write some of your experiences with heartbeat mon &
> high availability
> that could help me!

It's worked good for me for 1.5 years.  I use heartbeat + ldirectord + mon
and have lots of flexibility.  Perhaps keepalived (http://keepalived.org)
might be worth looking into, maybe it fits your needs better.  Also since
you indicated you are using DB's in this setup check out drdb to help keep
your disks in sync...

> Thanks, a late merry christmas ;-) and a happy new year (for those who
> celebrate this ...)
> Gregor Goestl

Cheers & same,

Peter