RE: Server Application with Primary Server & Backup Server

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Server Application with Primary Server & Backup Server
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 15:25:15 -0800
> I am a little bit confused, because you wrote, that you are
> using heartbeat
> + ldirectord + mon.
> I read about ldirectord, that it periodically requests a known URL and
> checks the response.
> For my business the reply of the watched service would not be a static
> output, so I thought, that mon would match better to my requirements.
> Why do you use both of this packages? Is this to eliminate
> the single point
> of failure, if you would use only ldirectord?

I use heartbeat for IP failover, ldirectord to monitor real servers, and mon
to fping the default gateway on the director boxes and shut down heartbeat
if it fails.  Mon should be fine for your situation.

> I think, that keepalived is only for HTTP or other TCP/IP
> applications, but
> I also need to monitor some other things like databases and
> other thinks,
> that I don't know today. Because mon is extremely flexible and
> easy to use
> and configure, I would like to use it ...

I like mon.  I disagree that it's easy to configure ;).  I think with
writing your own alerts it can be a real pain, especially at first when you
are figuring out how it works.  Hmm that's the price we pay for flexibility!

> DB & Replication:
> You wrote something about DB & drdb. I would like to run the
> database on the
> same server as the application does. So I would use the functions
> that are build in the databases to replicate them from the
> primary server to
> the backup server over network. So I think, that I don't need
> to share a
> filesystem, isn't it?

If you are using your DB to mirror the system then drdb isn't for you.