RE: DR/TUN LVS to Win2k Boxes

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: DR/TUN LVS to Win2k Boxes
Cc: "'rduran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <rduran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:51:21 -0800
> I am new to the list and I was wondering If anybody has been
> able tp get
> DR/Tunneling to work from an LVS to Windows 2000 RealServers ...

I'm positive that DR has been done, and if you can do DR then Tun is also
possible but more complex.

> You see the problem is that I will have 2 LVS Directors and will have
> about 36 Win2K machines seen by both directors (Not my Choice of
> Architecture but I am stuck), the problem is that NAT is "supposed" to
> bottleneck at around 9.0 mb Sec on the Server which will be able to
> serve at around 400Kb no more than 20 RealServers ... Or is
> this number
> realistic ?

Your only bottleneck SHOULD be the NIC on the directors and/or bandwidth to
the internet.  The FAQ contains a lot of references to speed in NAT vs DR
and mentions in 2.4.x linux kernels with NAT it isn't really a factor
anymore.  Therefore with 2.4.x kernels your bottleneck will be 100mb/sec
full duplex connections to the NAT'd win2k boxes.. 100 mb/sec % 36 servers =
~2.8 mb/sec per server.  If you add bigger or more network cards (maybe
subdivide the real servers into 2 subnets or use gigabit NIC) you won't have
this bottleneck.

> We will be using Dell 2650 Dual Xeon 1.8GHZ Boxes as
> directors and other
> than a doc or two on the net tests with Semi-Old Pentium II Hardware
> show those Numbers.

It's overkill, but if you are doing 100mb/sec internet pipes you should have
overkill everywhere.  100mb/sec to the internet is _EXPENSIVE_; the cost of
some hardware is nothing compared to the bandwidth.

> Is there a doc on the Net I can read that will help to to get it
> working  ?

I'm sure there is.  Please detail your setup more (simplified goal list,
network setup, etc.) and we can probably narrow down your search to one or
two documents.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated .

Good luck.

Peter