Re: DR/TUN LVS to Win2k Boxes

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DR/TUN LVS to Win2k Boxes
From: Johan Ronkainen <jr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:45:20 +0200 (EET)
Joseph Mack wrote:

> LVS-Tun requires the realserver to decapsulate IPIP packets, which
> (AFAIK) windows can't do. Linux has been able to do it since the 1.x
> kernels. xxBSD has been able to do it for a while.

It's possible with Win2000 Server. You'll find necessary settings under
Routing and Remote Access snap-in. First create new IP Tunnel under "Routing
Interfaces", then select "New Interface" under IP Routing/General and put
necessary settings there.

You'll also need Loopback interface so Win2000 will handle packets itself
and won't try to route them. Open Control Panel, click Add New Hardware,
navigate thru dialogs and finally select Microsoft Loopback Adapter. If you
want /32 network for loopback adapter you need to change it with regedit
since GUI allows only /31. Network code itself is fine with /32 subnets.

It's been a while since I did this. We load-balanced Win2000 Terminal Server
clients to three servers. Two were on same building as clients and third one
was in different city on separate subnet. Clients connected to LVS that
forwarded 2/3 of connections to local servers using LVS/DR and 1/3 to remote
location using LVS/Tun via IP-tunnel. Replies were routed directly to
clients.

This never went to full production and servers have been re-installed since
so I can't check exact configs. It's not that hard. Just like LVS/Tun with
Linux on LVS end. Win2000 part required bit trial and error but it's doable.

--
Johan.Ronkainen@xxxxxx