Re: masq problem

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: masq problem
From: "Matt Walkowiak" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:54:07 -0600
> > The only thing I am worried about with a full-scale LVS-Nat solution
with
> > IPTables (or any other firewall solution for that matter), you need to
have
> > port 80 (or whatever port you want to load balance) go straight thru
your
> > INPUT chain, then LVS picks the packet up and does the forwarding.  That
> > means people on the Internet are talking directly to my "firewall" on
port
> > 80.
>
> can you put a rule in the INPUT chain?
>
> LVS is just a router with slightly non-standard routing rules.

I've got the INPUT chain severely locked down, but I had to open up port 80
to the world to go right on thru.  Then I just trust that LVS is going to
pick it up, just like I would need to trust Apache or IIS to pick up the
packet and not let some other part of the OS act on it.

I guess I can't have it both ways; if I want people talk to me, I have to
let them to talk to me :)  Either that or pay someone else to do the talking
for me...

OH.... here might be a good way to do it...  Can I put a rule in the OUTPUT
chain?  This rule would only allow port 80 from the LD to the RealServers -
when the RealServers respond, they would be using the FORWARD chain, right?
That would prevent my Firewall/LD box from responding to anyone talking to
it on port 80 - so even if LVS gets subverted, im still protected.  Does
that logic hold?

Thanks!

Matt