Re: Expire-time in ipvsadm for persistent services

Subject: Re: Expire-time in ipvsadm for persistent services
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:42:57 -0500
Julian Anastasov wrote:

> Keeping ipvsadm and
> IPVS in sync is one of the main things to consider when upgrading.

This is a bit of a problem. We can't expect users to get everything
right every time. It would be nice if ipvsadm knew about
the versions of ip_vs it can work on. I talked to Horms about this
after the big change at 2.2.12 (2.2.14?), when he said that he didn't
want to make any more changes until the next big change was forced onto us.

However each version of ipvsadm could have a list of ip_vs versions
it knew about, a list of old ones that are incompatible, and for future
versions of ip_vs (that didn't exist when that version of ipvsadm
was written), it could return

"warning: this version of ipvsadm hasn't been tested with ip_vs-x.x.x".

Since I run with different kernel versions a lot, to keep all my
versions of ipvsadm straight, I give them names like

ipvsadm-0.9.4-2.4.12

I have a rc script that goes through and links the appropriate

/usr/src/linux
/sbin/ipvsadm
/sbin/ipvsadm-save
/sbin/ipvsadm-restore
/usr/src/ipvs
/boot/System.map
/boot/bzImage

would it be possible to give ipvsadm a suffix like

ipvsadm-ipvs_version-`uname -r`

as part of `make install`

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx