Re: Persistant Connections

Subject: Re: Persistant Connections
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:19:32 -0500
Alex Short wrote:

> Really how i want to have it is:
> clients surfing persistent connections on both webservers
> we want to do an update
> we allow currently initiated persistent connections to contiue to surf
> new connections go to a maint page
> when connects drop off, all to maint, time to update
> move back to allowing persistent connections.

I know this is what you want, but one of the reasons you
use an LVS is so that you can bring down realservers
for planned maintenance and bring them up again without
interruption of service to clients. This way a client will
never be presented with a maint page.

So you'd remove realserver_1 with ipvsadm, wait for
connections to drop, upgrade, check out from a local
(non lvs) client that it looks OK, put realserver_1
back into the LVS and at the same time remove realserver_2..n.

etc.

Why don't you want to do this?

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx