Re: FTP protocol in DR configuratiojn.

Subject: Re: FTP protocol in DR configuratiojn.
From: Malcolm Turnbull <Malcolm.Turnbull@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:56:23 +0000
Sébastien Bonnet wrote:
My understanding is that you need to enable persistance when
using FTP in conjunction with Direct Routing or Tunnelling
(but not NAT). The reason is that there is no other way
for the Linux Director to associate the FTP data and control
connections with each other.

I thought ip_vs_ftp module was there to handle load balanced FTP
traffic, almost the same way iptables does it. Am I wrong ?

I'm pretty sure ip_vs_ftp only works with NAT not DR or TUN.
Using port 0 (i.e. all ports) seems the simple method.

But regarding persistence...

Assuming you have 2 FTP servers with shared storage (NFS or raid or whatever)

If you loadbalance both without persistence wont the client prompt for a password each time the server changes ? Is this the same if you are load balancing SQL (MySQL,PostGreSQL,Oracle etc..) ? Has anyone got experience of load balancing servers that have passwords in the protocol ?

--

Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull.

Crocus.co.uk Ltd