Re: hardware for web server project

Subject: Re: hardware for web server project
From: André LY <luanleehao@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:09:42 +0100 (CET)

i want to have a database server for dynamic contents and this server need to be never down and high performance for all application and web servers request. It's why i think the scsi shared storage (external storage) is the best solution. but i know that's very expensive for a box with 2 controlers and hard disk bay. do you have any other idea ? i thought use 2 servers in heartbeat, but i lost the performance of 1 servers (slave).

I need a server who can handle around 10 000 users without performance loss. you tell about directors ?

yes, it's first need to know how much performance my app need. but i just want to predict for a business plan. i'm agree that i have lot's of unknow.

 Malcolm Turnbull <Malcolm.Turnbull@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What a strange set of questions ?

1) Build your application
2) Stress test it to see what load it takes per server
3) Work out how many servers you need

With dynamic pages you may find your database is the week link.

For load balancing any new server will do 10,000 connections is not a
lot :-) (depending on your point of view.)

Why do you need SCSI shared storage on a load balancer ?

André LY wrote:
> Hello i'm newbie !
>

> I have some hardware question for LVS, if i want to have a web server
> 7x24 which can handle 10 000 concurrent user max, how many realserver i
> need to have ? how many t1 line i need ? the web site will content flash
> application, dynamique pages, forum,....
> I don't know but if i use 50 realservers, how about to connect them
> with some netgear gigabit swich ?
> to connect realserver to the database server, i will use ethernet 100.
> for database server, i want to use cluster manager from redhat AS with 2
> bi processors serveurs connect to a scsi shared storage. anyone use this
> similar solution ? how about firewire-ide (search best cost/performance
> and reliability) ?
> some idea for a low cost redundant power for all of this machine ?
>

> sorry i'm a newbie and i'm interesting for all suggestion and
> recommendation.

Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull.

Crocus.co.uk Ltd