Supressing arp on lo interface

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Supressing arp on lo interface
From: John Reuning <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Apr 2003 17:04:45 -0400
I've been testing 2 lvs clusters, one lvs-nat and one lvs-dr.  This is
partly to make the best choice, but I was also curious to see the arp
problem in action for myself.  Sure enough... and it's insidious to the
point of being comical.

The lvs-dr real servers have the vip as an alias on the lo interface.
I've set lo to NOARP, but eth0 still responds to arp requests for the
vip.  Anyone know why this happens?  Of course, setting eth0 to noarp
makes the real servers not respond to the arp requests.

Thanks,

-jrr