Re: Supressing arp on lo interface

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Supressing arp on lo interface
From: John Reuning <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 12:16:20 -0400
Thanks for the link.  I had seen the hidden patch solution to the arp
problem in the lvs docs, but the detailed explanation was helpful.

My original wording didn't express my real question, though.  I'm
wondering why the network stack behaves as it does.  Why are arp replies
sent for all interfaces regardless of which interface receives the arp
request?

arp is part of the transition from network layer to link layer, right?
So why should an alias on lo, an interface that doesn't really generate
network frames, trigger an arp reply.  Do other unix tcp/ip
implementation work like this?  I can't seem to make a solaris 7 system
generate arp replies for an lo alias.

Anyway, sorry if this question is inappropriate for the list.  It's
merely curiosity on my part.  I was hoping that since you guys are
familiar with the linux arp behavior, maybe someone would know. :)

Thanks,

-jrr