Re: Supressing arp on lo interface

Subject: Re: Supressing arp on lo interface
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:35:31 -0400
John Reuning wrote:

> arp is part of the transition from network layer to link layer, right?
> So why should an alias on lo, an interface that doesn't really generate
> network frames, trigger an arp reply.  Do other unix tcp/ip
> implementation work like this?

linux is unique :-(

it's not a problem according to Alex

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.html#first_inklings

> Anyway, sorry if this question is inappropriate for the list.  It's
> merely curiosity on my part.  I was hoping that since you guys are
> familiar with the linux arp behavior, maybe someone would know. :)

It was a major preoccupation on this list for quite a while.
It is still one of the big conceptual hurdles to setting up LVS.

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx