Re: DNS Trick??

Subject: Re: DNS Trick??
From: Joel Webb <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:23:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Joel Webb wrote:
> > I have two web servers at two locations with power-outages about 2 times a
> > year at both locations
>
> But we can assume that the power-outages to not take place at both sites
> the same time, or is this not the case?

That is correct. The rarity that a power outage that would hit both places
at the same time would be slim to none.

> > Because of a limited budget, I would like to have traffic at the main
> > facility be forwarded over to the second facility during times of outages.
>
> This would be LVS-TUN with one of the various user space tools for
> monitoring/healthchecking.

I think that would be easy to setup.

> > We can't afford to have a huge UPS or anything like that, but we would
> > like redundancy.
>
> Hmm, for a webserver and the whole network infrastructure "leading" to
> the them you actually wouldn't need to buy a too an expensive UPS, but I
> understand your request.

We have UPS's on both servers, but if a storm comes along and we are
without power for 4 hours, we are screwed.

> > Both machines at both locations have a DNS servers running on them, and I
>
> You mean the webservers also provide DNS?

Yes.

> > was thinking of having the DNS servers just point to themselves for each
> > domain that we
> > are hosting. Then all I would have to do is SYNC up the servers in the
> > evening from the main machine to the backup.
>
> What do you gain if a request to machine A for "foo.com" is being
> redirected to machine B (although A has the information) and vice versa?
> Please help me if I do not understand your trick. Also there comes the
> time when a DNS request from the Internet is going to be sent to your
> primary DNS and if there is no entry for a secondary DNS and the primary
> is down (power outage) you're out of luck.
>
> > Can anyone see this as a bad solution or give me a better solution to go
> > on??
>
> I'm not sure if I do understand your needs. Does the following sketch depict
> your situation accurately enough?

You got a great diagram.

>                           Internet
>                           --------
>                          /        \
>                        /            \
>                      /                \
>
>             Location A                 Location B
>             ----------                 ----------
>             Webserver+DNS              Webserver+DNS
>

> How do you get the packets to be distributed to both locations in the
> first place? Where would you (like to) see the LVS box acting?

In my DNS/Webserver trick, both servers would be on the net. They
would both be hit by a random packet, but Loc A would be doing remote
logging to Location B. And all I would have to do is tell our company
users to just post to Location B before we do the rsyncs.

My idea might not be the best idea, that is why I posted it to see what
other people thought.

--
Respectfully,
Joel Webb