Re: DNS Trick??

Subject: Re: DNS Trick??
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:11:59 +0200
Hi,

That is correct. The rarity that a power outage that would hit both places at the same time would be slim to none.

Ok.

This would be LVS-TUN with one of the various user space tools for monitoring/healthchecking.

I think that would be easy to setup.

Yes, it would, but I'm not yet sure where the initial redundancy (load balancing) of your current setup comes from.

We have UPS's on both servers, but if a storm comes along and we are without power for 4 hours, we are screwed.

D'oh, you have to forgive me, I definitely wasn't thinking enough when writing my answer. Of course, this is the normal case when you have a power outage.

[I had a rather bad day yesterday (got bitten by a dog while on the skateboard, then police flashed me with 10 over (car), and I injured myself while bouldering (climbing))]

You mean the webservers also provide DNS?
Yes.

Ok.

I'm not sure if I do understand your needs. Does the following sketch depict
your situation accurately enough?
You got a great diagram.

Very good.

                         Internet
                         --------
                        /        \
                      /            \
                    /                \

           Location A                 Location B
           ----------                 ----------
           Webserver+DNS              Webserver+DNS

How do you get the packets to be distributed to both locations in the first place? Where would you (like to) see the LVS box acting?
In my DNS/Webserver trick, both servers would be on the net. They would both be hit by a random packet, but Loc A would be doing remote

My next stupid question is: how and where is this randomness generated? The reason I'm asking is that there one load balancer with LVS-TUN could already solve your problem.

logging to Location B. And all I would have to do is tell our company users to just post to Location B before we do the rsyncs.

Hmm, but the web service is not only for your company users, righ?

My idea might not be the best idea, that is why I posted it to see what other people thought.

To be honest, I currently do not see how it solves your problem, but I would like to fully understand your problem first. I need to know where the randomness (packet distribution) is happening.

Thanks in advance,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc