Re: Real & virtual ip address confusion

Subject: Re: Real & virtual ip address confusion
From: John Reuning <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Jun 2003 12:51:01 -0400
On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 12:31, John Reuning wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 12:17, Joseph Mack wrote:
>
> > In the DIP in this diagram, is the DIP and the VIP external and on the same
> > network?
>
> Yes, that's correct.

Actually, no, I was wrong.  I think I misinterpreted the documentation
when I reinspected after my original message.  The DIP is the internal
ip address that the real servers see, right?  So, the diagram should be:

external          ---------------    internal
                  |                 |
152.2.210.38    |                 |  192.168.210.38
              ---|                 |---
                  |                 |
152.2.210.81    |                 |  192.168.210.81
    (VIP)        |                 |       (DIP)
                   ---------------

The top two addresses are just the primary ip addresses of the
director's internal and external interfaces.  They shouldn't play a part
in the lvs configuration.  The real servers have the DIP as their
default route, and the http requests all come to the VIP.

The problem occurs when http replies from the director are sent from the
primary external ip address 152.2.210.38 instead of from the VIP.

In this case, should the lvs-start script remove the primary ip address
from the external interface (152.2.210.38) after the secondary (VIP)
addresses are added?  Will not bringing up the eth0 interface at all
cause netlink to not be able to add the secondary/VIP addresses?  I'm
using keepalived, by the way.

Thanks again,

-jrr