Re: Real & virtual ip address confusion

Subject: Re: Real & virtual ip address confusion
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:23:16 -0400
John Reuning wrote:

> Actually, no, I was wrong.  I think I misinterpreted the documentation
> when I reinspected after my original message.  The DIP is the internal
> ip address that the real servers see, right?

yes

> So, the diagram should be:
>
> external          ---------------    internal
>                   |                 |
> 152.2.210.38    |                 |  192.168.210.38
>               ---|                 |---
>                   |                 |
> 152.2.210.81    |                 |  192.168.210.81
>     (VIP)        |                 |       (DIP)
>                    ---------------

yes

> The top two addresses are just the primary ip addresses of the
> director's internal and external interfaces.  They shouldn't play a part
> in the lvs configuration.  The real servers have the DIP as their
> default route, and the http requests all come to the VIP.

yes

> The problem occurs when http replies from the director are sent from the
> primary external ip address 152.2.210.38 instead of from the VIP.

this is not supposed to happen.

Julian,
        2 people now have reported in LVS-NAT that the director replies
from the primary IP and not the VIP. Is this something you know about?

> In this case, should the lvs-start script remove the primary ip address
> from the external interface (152.2.210.38) after the secondary (VIP)
> addresses are added?

it shouldn't matter. All IPs should be independant

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx