Re: connection delay/limit

Subject: Re: connection delay/limit
Cc: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
From: Konrads.Smelkovs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:37:04 +0300
Altough, we are approaching offtopic :) i will elaborate on my setup
There exists a "master" LDAP server that performs all writes and it
replicates to the other "slave" servers. If a write request is asked from
a slave it redirects or refers to the master server. Client then follows
this reference and makes a succesful write. So in my case i have a
stand-alone master, which is not load-balanced, thus enabling the above
mentioned setup.
Also, due to specific of the application (think authentification or such),
it performs one or two exact search requests, like uid=konrads and
requests for a attribute to be returned, e.g. : userPassword.

--
Yay! I've got a flying machine! (UNIX)

Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2003.07.08 14:37
Please respond to "LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list."

        cc:     "LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list."
<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Konrads.Smelkovs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If i understand it right, LDAP is a simple TCP service. Usually, after
> performing an initial connection and query it idles there and reuses the
> connection.

Not knowing anything about ldap I looked at some of the HOWTOs. They
are all long on configuring and using ldap, but none describe the
ldap protocol. From

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/LDAP-HOWTO.html#HowitWorks

I see that ldap uses iterative calls to the slapd (somewhat like DNS), and
can
be sent to other slapds (I don't know how this would work in your case).
As well
the slapd needs a 3rd tier database (eg dbm). If the clients are writing
to the
database, then you're going to have the many reader, many writer problem

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.services.single-port.html#databases

you're going to have to have only one copy of the database if clients are
writing to the slapd

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx