Re: Linux Director Reliability

Subject: Re: Linux Director Reliability
From: Graham Purcocks <grahamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Sep 2003 13:15:37 +0100
Horm

WE have been using RH Linux 7.3 2.4.18 LVS with Pulse and Nanny compiled
from source for about 12 months now.

The setup is 2 Compaq 233MHz Pentium II machines as Directors running in
failover mode.

There are two clusters of real servers:

The first are 2 Sun Sparcs 10's running Solaris 2.6 and a Dell Poweredge
2650 running RH.7.3. This configuration runs HTTP servers for weather
briefing information to the aviation industry over the Internet. Hence,
needs 99.99% uptime 24 x 7. No excuses!

The other is 2 Compaq Prosignia 200 acting as HTTP and FTP servers for
the media weather market.

So all low spec, except the Dell, machines. And we have had zero
problems due to LVS in this time.

FYI. There is a duplicate cluster of the aviation system in the US which
uses Resonate and RH6.2 for its load balancing. This is no longer
supported, presumably because LVS stole the market! So the US intend to
move to LVS also.