Re: How to get VIP in a c program from LVS_NAT

Subject: Re: How to get VIP in a c program from LVS_NAT
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:12:36 -0400
Jeremy Kusnetz wrote:

> > can you do LVS-DR?
>
> Not sure, we've been running LVS-NAT so long I need to relearn the other LVS
> types to see if they will work with our enviroment.

you need re-training. You're out of date :-) You'll have to go off
for a 1 week refresher course to get your LVSCE again.

> Going back to your original idea (sshing to the director), other then
> running ipvsadm is there any other fast way for me to pull that data?

The sync demon (on the director) broadcasts the state of the connections.
You should (in theory) be able to run the sync demon in backup mode
on the realservers to pick up the connection table. The sync demon
on the realserver will lag a little (don't know how long) behind the
connection table on the active director, but it will be a lot faster
than ssh/ipvsadm. The backup sync demon(s) are supposed to be
close enough to the state of the active sync demon to handle a failover.

Horms has a new implementation of the sync demon, which he talked
about at LVS. If this looks a reasonable idea, then ask Horms
for his code (I don't know if it's released yet, it's being
done as part of his work).

I'd have a look at LVS-DR first. You can find the VIP from
`netstat -an` without all this mucking around

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx