Re: Need to explore the advantages of lvs?

Subject: Re: Need to explore the advantages of lvs?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:26:10 +0900
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:07:24PM +0000, Marko Klaus wrote:

> Hello,
>  I'm new to this list and I have a few questions about lvs to evaluate the
> possibility to implement an lvs-System in our facility and I apologize
> for my (stupid ;-) questions.
>
>  First: Is there a storng need to have an distributed fs (like coda) with
> lvs or can I just leave this and without this is it a good solution?

It depends on what you want to do. Having some sort of network
filesysetem (e.g. nfs) is often a good way to go/

>  Second: I need an complete example of an implementation of an lvs-System
> so I can evaluate the amount of work to put in their. Can somebody send me
> some examples and I need also the amount of time which was needed to
> create this solution?
>
>  Third: How much does it cost (mainly time) to build up and administrate a
> lvs-cluster?

How long is a piece of string? It depends on a number of factors.
Primarily how familiar you are with networking (on Linux) and
LVS, and how complex your setup is.

>  Fourth: Is lvs limited to loadbalancing of websites or can I distribute
> e. g. an contant-management-system?

Genreally speaking it can do anything that can run over UDP or TCP.
Of course there are caveats to this and some protocols,
like FTP for instance, require helper code in LVS because
multiple connections are involved in a single session.

--
Horms