Re: Need to explore the advantages of lvs?

Subject: Re: Need to explore the advantages of lvs?
From: Malcolm Turnbull <Malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:01:08 +0100
I'm not sure if anyone already answerd this but my 2 pence is :

Marko Klaus wrote:

First: Is there a storng need to have an distributed fs (like coda) with lvs or can I just leave this and without this is it a good solution?

Um, not unless you need it ? And it wouldn't be on the load balancer anyway it would be where you want your persistent storage most people use a RDBMS and some kind of replication for html files.

Second: I need an complete example of an implementation of an lvs-System so I can evaluate the amount of work to put in their. Can somebody send me some examples and I need also the amount of time which was needed to create this solution?

Plenty in the faq and lvs is easy enough to set up NB. you'll aslo probably need Mon,Ldirectord or Keepalived for the health checking on real servers

Third: How much does it cost (mainly time) to build up and administrate a lvs-cluster?

About the same as understanding how to setup a CISCO or Foundry, F5 is possibly a bit easier but not much.

Fourth: Is lvs limited to loadbalancing of websites or can I distribute e. g. an contant-management-system?

Um, What ? A content management system is just a web site with a database backend. All your web servers should use the same back end.

--
Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull

Loadbalancer.org Limited