Confused Noobie questions.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Confused Noobie questions.
From: Benjamin Wall <bmwall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:47:11 -0500
Ok here goes, I think that I am just a little confused, so any pointers
to docs or other posts are welcome.

I have been reading about LVS for about a week and I think I am
suffering from info overload.

What I have:
  Debian Stable (I like getting security patches quick)
  Director: Kernel 2.4.18 patched with ipvs 1.0.2
  Realservers: Kernel 2.4.22 with hidden-2.4.20pre10-1.diff
  Director has two nics, but I am going to remove one, so I want a one
nic setup on the directors (Direct Routing)
  2 Webservers
  2 DB machines
  The loadbalancing is working on the 2 webservers, I have not set it up
on the database servers yet because of concerns about database
connection state and how LVS handles that (or doesn't).

What I want:

  Two Virtual servers (Direct Routing):
   - 1 for http/apache (loadbalanced) (2 machines, more later)
   - 1 for MySQL (simple failover) (2 machines)
  Automatic addition/removal from LVS when failure detected
  Director Failover (I have two machines for director duty)

What I am confused about:
  Director failover:
   - I am planning on setting up heartbeat via serial cable.
   - Which tool should I use for the takeover? vrrpd, Fake
   - ldirectord, keepalived ??? or just mon, hearbeat, fake?
   - Do I need connection table synchronization?
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=105459391703228&w=2
   - iproute2's advantage over eth0:10 style (is it just an iptables
issue?) ( I know next to nothing about iproute2 )
  Automatic addition/removal from LVS:
   - mon + script? or is there a better way?  ldirector, keepalive??

Again, Thanks for everything, I cant wait to start testing this by
pulling network cables and power plugs (I am running a journaled fs).

Ben Wall