Re: ssh connections through LVS-DR are being dropped.

Subject: Re: ssh connections through LVS-DR are being dropped.
From: gholder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:07:23 -0500
Quoting Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:57:51PM -0500, gholder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >

> > We have LVS director configured to distrube ssh connections to ssh
> > real servers.  Connections from linux machines work great.  Ssh
> > connections from either Solaris machines (even using openssh) or from
> > Windows machines (using either ssh's ssh client, or putty) are dropped
> > after about 5 minutes.
>
> Hi,
>
> This sounds suspicously like a timeout problem. The different behaviour
> between Solaris and Windows, and Linux clients can probably be explained
> in terms of use of KeepAlive and ProtocolKeepAlive (see man ssh_config)
> or not as the case may be.
>
> Try manupulating the timeout values using "ipvsadm set" and/or
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/timeout_*

I agree this sounds like a timeout problem, but I'm not sure where.  The
ssh_config files on solaris and linux are the same and they're both using
openssh.  I would think they would be faced with the same set of timeout
constraints.

Manipulating the timeout variables sound reasonable.  Could you be more specific
about which ones, and whether they are on the ssh client, the director, or the
real server?

Thanks again for helping.
-Gaylord