RE: Where to get started

Subject: RE: Where to get started
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:26:43 -0800
> > I need to build 2 (initially ) redhat boxes. (probably  RHS - ES ) I
> > really like RH9 but need the up2date stuff.

> Yum might help here. Though I don't know which direction they
> are going
> after 9.0.

http://www.whiteboxlinux.com/ (free unsupported RH-Enterprise from SRPM) is
also an option.  YUM is very nice.  I logged onto fedora-legacy IRC to see
how long they will be supporting legacy RH such as RH9 for and the answer
was they don't foresee an endpoint yet.  So ~2-3 years is reasonable.

Note : if you go whiteboxlinux, be sure to use YUM with them too...

Is that what they are calling it now?  I think http://www.ultramonkey.org/
or http://www.keepalived.org/ is a much better long-term solution.

> > With the boxes i am building , they really need to be clustered. I
> > understand the concept of clustering, but i have a couple
> of gaps that I do

"Blueprints for High Availability" is a good book if outdated, its available
on Amazon.  For LVS clustering I think Horms documentation is the easiest to
understand.  http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/topologies/.  When you need
specific information download Joe's LVS-HOWTO and do a grep search through
it.  (It's _really_ loaded with goodies).

> > not understand. (BTW - is there a clustering for dummies? )

You mean like Microsoft? ;-)

> check out Mon from kernel.org and/or the Ganglia project.

What the heck is Ganglia?  It sounds like an infectious disease!

Cheers,