Re: Where to get started

Subject: Re: Where to get started
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:07:28 -0500
Randy Paries wrote:

> The biggest question is how do the clusters share data? Is this done via
> hardware or software. In the LVS I see lots of stuff about setup for load
> balancing, which is part of what i need.

moving data around is external to LVS. You handle this yourself.
LVS works well for read-only. If clients are writing, something
at the back end has to propagate the writes to the other nodes on
a time scale is atomic compared to the time of reads by other users.
If you have a shopping cart, then other user's don't read your writes,
however the amount of stock will need to be decremented before the
next buyer arrives.

You have to handle all of this.

> Is LVS what i need?  ( my app is a web based app, that reads and writes to
> datafiles on the webserver)

read about databases in the HOWTO

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx