Re: [Keepalived-devel] RE: Keepalived and Zebra

To: John Reuning <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Keepalived-devel] RE: Keepalived and Zebra
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: keepalived-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:00:35 +0100
Hi,

At 00:53 15/02/2004, John Reuning wrote:
I'll have to check with the network folks to see which model the router
is.  But, essentially, sending icmp echo requests to the router interface
seemed to be the quickest way to get the arp tables updated.  tcpdump
showed keepalived sending gratuitous arp packets, but the router continued
sending traffic to the old hardware address.  After sending a couple of
icmp packets with the source ip address and the updated hardware address,
all was well.

hmm... agreed. Sending echo request with src_ip of VRRP VIP and new MAC can speed takeover. I really suspect this is a CISCO 'feature' on layer3 switch (please let me know).

Anyway this sound like a good extension, I dunk this in my TODO basket =8-D

Best regards,
Alexandre