Re: quick connection then wait but for what?

Subject: Re: quick connection then wait but for what?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:04:59 -0500
beooi alex wrote:

> when you request a page, the result is the same with a 1ko page or a 10 mo
> one,
> you see connection, opening, then you wait between 1 and 3 seconds,
> then everything appear very fast

run tcpdump on the machine(s). It helps to have your network quiet
so that the tcpdump output is not overwhelmed with other packets.
Then make your connection and see what responds after 1-3 secs.
It has been waiting for something. You'll have to figure it out.
Then tell us.

> we didn't have this problem before we "clustered" our installation.

happens quite often. There's something you have taken for granted
that you've forgotten about and needs to be reconfigured for a cluster.

are you haveing trouble with name lookups (run `netstat -a` then `netstat -an`
or
`route` and then `route -n` - watch to see if `route` halts halfway through)

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx