Re: LVS and dynamic routing

Subject: Re: LVS and dynamic routing
From: James Couzens <jcouzens@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:43:53 -0700
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 14:06, Patrick LeBoutillier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a production environment that has parallel networks. Each machine
> has 2 network cards and runs gated. Services listen on an address on the
> loopback and gated makes them available (I'm not too sure how gated and/or
> dynamic routing works...)
>
> I have to set up a cluster of two such machines (both will be directors and
> also realservers).
>
> My question is: if heartbeat starts and brings up the alias on eth0 and
> then
> the network eth0 is connected to fails, will the director still be able to
> deal with the packets even if they start coming in from eth1?
>
> If not, what kind of configuration should I be using?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Patrick

You really ought to have a look at the keepalived project.  The opening
paragraph on the KA website says it all:

> The main goal of the keepalived project is to add a strong & robust
> keepalive facility to the Linux Virtual Server project. This project
> is written in C with multilayer TCP/IP stack checks. Keepalived
> implements a framework based on three family checks : Layer3, Layer4 &
> Layer5/7. This framework gives the daemon the ability of checking a
> LVS server pool states. When one of the server of the LVS server pool
> is down, keepalived informs the linux kernel via a setsockopt call to
> remove this server entrie from the LVS topology. In addition
> keepalived implements an independent VRRPv2 stack to handle director
> failover. So in short keepalived is a userspace daemon for LVS cluster
> nodes healthchecks and LVS directors failover.

keepalived handles effortlessly the functionality you have outlined in
your post quoted above, and makes the administration, and overall HA-LVS
experience significantly less complicated.  With a single configuration
file to facilitate your entire HA solution its a whiz to setup and fine
tune.  Without keepalived a HA-LVS solution is like making a hotdog by
going and buying all the individual ingredients from different places
rather than just getting it all from one vendor ;)   Give it a whirl and
you'll see more of what I'm talking about.

Here are some good resources:

Primary site: http://keepalived.sourceforge.net
My local mirror: http://6o4.ca/keepalived/

Documentation: