Re: problem moving LVS NAT cluster to iptables - solved?

Subject: Re: problem moving LVS NAT cluster to iptables - solved?
From: Alois Treindl <alois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:36:35 +0200
Joseph Mack wrote:

Read this and then ask more questions. The problem is that LVS doesn't/can't work within the netfilter framework.

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.patches.html#firewall_on_director

Joe

this sounds bad. I had not been aware of the fact that there are FUNDAMENTAL problems of that kind.

Of course I could stick to the 'old Redhat 7' kernel on director, and avoid this problem.

But I expect I can anyway combine my LVS needs with my firewall needs under netfilter and kernel 2.4

I would appreciate your opinion and advice in this matter.

I need LVS-NAT loadbalancing really only for one single service, www.
For port 80 incoming connections, our firewall is anyway open, so I need no iptables rules for that one, except probably to allow the packets in at the interface.

iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -i eth0 -p tcp -s 0/0 --sport 1024:65535 \
   -d ${VIP} --dport 80
Is this rule even necessary? It seems to be - when I remove it, client cannot access web server.

We have in the past blocked off a short list of misbehaving IP addresses from sending ANY packets, with general blocking rules of the kind

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -j DROP-AND-LOG -i eth1 -s 82.48.XXX.XXX

Question: Will this rule be effective also for port 80 packets handled by ip_vs? [it seems to be, I can block a web client when I tried]

The other services which I have currently forwarded via ipvsadm rules, which are
- mysql packets
- https packets
- ssh packets
are not loadbalanced in my setup, i.e. these service go to a single realserver only.

I assume I can handle these services just as well outside of ip_vs, by regular iptables NAT rules?

Would you agree, that with such constrained conditions, I can combine my needed LVS features with the firewalling iptables features for the whole LVS cluster?

Alois