Re: Pop-Before-SMTP and LVS

Subject: Re: Pop-Before-SMTP and LVS
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:24:27 +0100
I don't think ldirectord supports port 0 ?
But it does support firewall marks to allow you to group pop3 & smtp and add persistence.

Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Limited
+44 (0)7715 770523
http://www.loadbalancer.org/

" When a single point of failure is not an option"

Why not try our online demonstration <http://www.loadbalancer.org/demo.html> ? Or get answers to common questions <http://www.loadbalancer.org/fud.html> ?

Peter Mueller wrote:

I just added pop and smtp services to my load balancers, and I wanted to know if there was a way to tie the two connections together somehow. I use pop-before-smtp to allow my users to send mail, but sometimes they reconnect to a different server for smtp than the one they pop-ed into. Most of the time it's OK because they have pop-ed to both of the servers in the cluster but every now and then I have a user with an issue.

Is there a way to have it keep track of the IP and always send those SMTP and POP connections to the same real server?

Can anyone think of a way to accomplish this?

I use ldirectord for my virtual server management.

You can use port 0 with a higher persistance for this setup.  If you want
have a healthchecker you could setup one called "mail" that checks for POP,
then SMTP.  Send a diff to Horms :).