Re: Geographic Loadbalancing..

Subject: Re: Geographic Loadbalancing..
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:46:00 +0900
On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 03:14:54PM +1000, Josh Marshall wrote:
> > I have some code to do this.
> > Basically it creates a small routing daemon, that gets
> > all its data from a list of routes you provide at run time.
> >
> > Its here
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/supersparrow/supersparrow/ssrs/
> >
> > I also have some code to help generate the list of routes
> > from BGP dumps from (Cisco) routers.
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/vanessa/scratch/inet_map/
> >
> > And I have a patch to Bind 9 to add supersparrow support
> > http://www.supersparrow.org/download/wip/bind9/
> >

> > All this needs a bit of polish, as appart from hacking on it
> > for my own personal use I haven't done any work on it for a while.
> > It does work, and is actually used for www.linuxvirtualserver.org
> >
> > If you have questions, or are intrested in some
> > particular features, let me know.
>
> Hi Horms,
>
> I'm just wondering how to set up the ssrs with the list of routes - what
> format does the /etc/ssrs.routes file need?

Sorry, I really should get to and write some documentation.
Fortunately the format of this file is very, very simple.
Each line has a prefix followed by an AS number.

E.g.

212.124.87.0/24  1234
213.216.32.0/19  1235
195.245.215.0/24 7
195.47.255.0/24  7
217.76.64.0/20   1234
193.236.127.0/24 1234

All the prefixes are stored in a red-black tree and the most speficic
prefix for the request will take presedence.

E.g. if you have

212.124.87.0/24  1234
212.124.87.1/32  7

Then if you look up the AS for 212.124.87.1 you will get 7.
If you look up the AS for 212.124.87.2 you will get 1234.

You can telnet to the ssrsd daemon, it will ask you for a password
but doesn't actually check it, so just put in whatever you like -
I should probably fix that up too :)

--
Horms