Re: Geographic Loadbalancing..

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Geographic Loadbalancing..
Cc: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Josh Marshall <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:46:06 +1000
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:46, Horms wrote:
> Sorry, I really should get to and write some documentation.
> Fortunately the format of this file is very, very simple.
> Each line has a prefix followed by an AS number.
>
> E.g.
>
> 212.124.87.0/24  1234
> 213.216.32.0/19  1235
> 195.245.215.0/24 7
> 195.47.255.0/24  7
> 217.76.64.0/20   1234
> 193.236.127.0/24 1234

So does the ssrsd daemon actually check routing on the internet or does this
file just get manually updated by us to map out the internet to get the most
appropriate location? I've been looking at zebra and bgp but haven't worked
out how I can get routing information without a public AS number and the
co-operation of a few isp's...

I assume that the AS numbers that you program into the ssrsd conf file will
correspond with the location we believe is closest to the client. as an e.g.:

Location: Australia
ssrsd AS number: 65000

Location: USA
ssrsd AS number: 65001

then in the ssrsd.conf file:

203.0.0.0/8 65000
216.0.0.0/8 65001

Then all requests from the 203 A-class will get the Australian location and
all from the 216 A-class will get the USA location.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Also if a location is down, does the supersparrow or the ssrsd detect that and
return results to locations that are up only? Otherwise I assume we could
have some tests running with mon or similar that changed the ssrsd config
file and restarted the daemon...

> You can telnet to the ssrsd daemon, it will ask you for a password
> but doesn't actually check it, so just put in whatever you like -
> I should probably fix that up too :)

The ssrsd daemon is for internal use anyway, unless you can crash it and have
a DoS it shouldn't matter. Any good administrator would firewall it anyway ;)

Once I get this going I'd be more than happy to submit some documentation.
It's a fantastic idea and I can see it working well.

Regards,
Josh.