DR load balancing queries

To: "Lvs-Users" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DR load balancing queries
From: "Vic Berdin" <vic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:10:03 +0800
Hi,

I posted last week some questions with load balancing using ldirectord.
Currently, I already managed to make LVS-DR work on my two 2.4.22-based
boxes.

The packages I'm using are:

Linux 2.4.22
Ipvsadm v1.21
IPVS v1.0.10 kernel-patch
noarp v1.2.3
Heartbeat v1.2.3

My configurations:

Ha.cf
=====
debugfile /var/log/ha-debug
logfile /var/log/ha-log
logfacility local0
keepalive 2
deadtime 10
warntime 10
initdead 10
udpport 694
serial  /dev/ttyS0
bcast   eth0
auto_failback off
node    node1
node    node2

ldirectord.cf
=============
checktimeout=10
checkinterval=2
autoreload=no
logfile="local0"
quiescent=yes

virtual=192.168.1.87:80
        real=192.168.1.45:80 gate
        real=192.168.1.47:80 gate
        fallback=127.0.0.1:80 gate
        service=http
        scheduler=rr
        protocol=tcp
        checktype=connect

haresources.cf
=============
node1 IPaddr::192.168.1.87 ldirectord::/etc/ldirectord.cf

My two boxes has "HA + ldirectord + Web" where one is master, and the other
act as backup.

Here are my current issues to resolve:

1. Further tests shows that my master node still fails to inherit or grab
the role of being the director during start-up, while the backup node is
already running as director.
Is there a problem with the combination of packages that I'm using? Any
ideas (other than using packages older than what I'm currently using ;o))
are greatly appreciated.

2. Where do you guys automatically implement noarp and raising of VIP on the
(non-director) real servers? I currently have to do this manually on the
non-director. I've been trying to figure this out but kept on getting a race
condition. Effect is that the two machines fail to raise ldirectord.

TIA - Vic