Re: heartbeat feature request: "Noisy" gratuitous arp

Subject: Re: heartbeat feature request: "Noisy" gratuitous arp
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:50:39 -0800
Horms wanted us to know:

>> I would like to see a "noisy gratuitous arp" setting where you can tell
>> heartbeat to occassional resend the gratuitous arp.  Something like:
>>     noisy_arp 720  # 720 minutes = 12 hours
>Actually, that was my original design, and that is the way
>fake, which heartbeat was subsequently based on works.
>However it didn't make it into heartbeat, partly because
>no one notices, and partly because it didn't fit well into the model.

Nice to know the history of it, thanks :-)

>But the way things stand now it could easily be added as an
>option to send arp. Do you want to have a look at patching that,
>unfortunately I am a touch busy?

I will take a look at it but I think it is a low priority.  I read the
section of the LVS HOWTO on the arp problem carefully and noticed
something that I had not noticed before: the noarp module.  I have since
started using that on my real machines with the older kernels and it
seems to be working so far.  (Hence my posts from late last night about
the noarp module).
--
Regards...              Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin