Re: slab usage and ip_vs_conn expiration

To: Mark de Vries <markdv.lvsuser@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: slab usage and ip_vs_conn expiration
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:37:16 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Mark de Vries wrote:

> >     You can try the attached patch. It removes one extra
> > __ip_vs_conn_put from ip_vs_icmp_xmit. If it fixes the problem, it
> > means you receive lots of incoming ICMPs from clients. May be
> > FRAG_NEEDED messages?
>
> approx ~50 incomming ICMP packets per second. 95% of which are port
> unreachables. How does 50 compare to your definition of "lots"?
> (frag_needed is unlikely as most dns packets are < 512 octets. I think
> it's just bad firewalls on the client side... someting I'll look into.)

        Ah, yes, it is DNS, it is normal clients to retry after "short"
period but when they receive our first reply they close their UDP socket
and our second DNS reply receives ICMP. 50 ICMPs/sec per ~2000 requests/s
is not bad, anyways.

> But anyway; I applied your patch to 2.6.11.8 and so far it looks
> promesing!  Although the trend is still a rising ip_vs_conn slab usage I
> can sometimes see it go down. (Usage is still rising this time of day so
> that upward trend seems normal.) Also I no longer see the 'delayed'
> messages when settting the debuglevel to 8. So, looks like entries are
> beeing expired! :). I'll keep a close watch and let you know how it
> behaves @ and after peak hours.

        Very good. Let me know if it keeps up for more days and i'll post
the patch for kernel inclusion.

> Thnx & Regards,
> Mark.

Regards