Re: What are people doing for data sharing between real servers

Subject: Re: What are people doing for data sharing between real servers
From: kwijibo@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:04:26 -0600
Jan Klopper wrote:
On the other hand you might consider changing to reiserFS which is capable of reading every file on your FS within 1 or 2 clock cycli, independant of the size of the parent dir.

Im currently reading cache files of ~4-9K from a dir containing well over 12000 of them without any speed problems on a single p3 1ghz with a scsi 2 hdd in raid 0.

Besides, hasing also requires you to change most of your scripts which will also (if done for webcontent) increase the load dramatically.

greets

Or you could just use ext3 with htree enabled.  My confidence using
ReiserFS with NFS is not that high.

In my experience it is a combination of large directories and
NFS that melts the backend storage.  During busy times all
of my realservers would have horribly slow access to files on the
storage box but if I was on the storage box itself it would still
be pretty snappy.  This box was a quad processor box that had a
12 disk SCSI RAID5 so it wasn't lacking for power.  I could see
processes were getting stuck when accessing large directories.

You could also possibly improve your performance by putting your
FS journal into NVRAM.  I think there may also be a way to cache
NFS in NVRAM as well but I didn't investigate it that far before
my problems got fixed.