RE: Use IP address only on failover?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Use IP address only on failover?
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:38:08 +0100
On Tue 02 Aug 2005 10:04:39 BST , Alexander Stolle <alexlists@xxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Graeme! I also sent a mail to keepalived-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
but this list does not seem to be very active. Perhaps you know a better one
:) Here is my network and keepalived config, hope this helps.

Actually it is, but not posting configs often means people there will simply have no ideas as to what your problem is. It's also the middle of summer (northern hemisphere at least!) and I'd guess that some of the regulars are on vacation...

Anyway: as I said previously, your master/slave pairing *must* have IP addresses on their interfaces or VRRP has no address to send from.

If you configure up bond0 on each machine with 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 respectively and drop the "mcast_src_ip" from your config, you should be OK.

I'm convinced that having the interface "un-numbered" is your problem, since keepalived needs to join an mcast group and therefore needs to set an (or use an existing) IP address as the source. Having it with no address makes that kind of hard :)

There's nothing stopping you using private addresses for your EXT_IF and DMZ_IF physical or logical interfaces, unless you need real ones for management. VRRP can announce addresses out of other address ranges, as far as I know.

Try it and see.

Graeme