Re: Please confirm or debunk my suspicions (LVS DR)

Subject: Re: Please confirm or debunk my suspicions (LVS DR)
From: Jacob Coby <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:26:18 -0400
Danner, Russ wrote:
I Think so :)

I think I need 2 LVS configurations because I will not be able to have the
two apache clusters listen for both A & B.com (different clients.) However,
I wanted to make sure I couldn't use the same load balancing infrastructure
(2 LVS Servers rather then 4.)

I understand that if I virtual host on apache I only need one LVS pair.

Yeah, pretty much. However, one lvs director should be able to handle load balancing/fallover for both sites, if they have unique ip addrs.

You also have other options:

- ip or name based virtual hosting with apache
- running multiple instances of apache, each listening on a different ip address. you can chroot jail each process to help partition the clients out. (combine either of these with chroot jail ssh/ftp/whatever access, and clients won't be able to see anything you don't want them to, while still giving them custom apache builds/instances. if the client needs to be able start/restart/HUP apache though, you'd have to give them sudo access (so it can bind to ports 80 and 443).) - something like linux-vserver to slice each realserver up across the websites. you can do similar things in other OSs.

--
-Jacob