RE: lvs for special application

Subject: RE: lvs for special application
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:58:20 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Purcocks, Graham wrote:

OK I understand the question more, but on what are you basing the decision to go the 'special cluster'? If its something inside the http packet then that is outside of the scope of a LVS router. It doesn't analyse packets (that I know of) you'd need some helper code.

the director doesn't look at the content of the packets (eg the URL), just the dst_ip:dst_port

I still don't quite see why it isn't a redirect. If you add another address for the special cluster which the redirect goes to, the when a real server in your main cluster gets the redirect, then if its not in the special cluster it will not have that VIP so the request will do back to the director and be redirected to a real server in the 'special cluster'. If it is in the 'special cluster' then it will be resolved as localhost and so be serviced directly by that real server.

LVS isn't real good about doing this, ie having the realservers sending requests back to the director.
The code is out there, but no-one is using it yet
for us to know if it really works.

In fact "//ipApplication" is confusing. With "//ipApplication" I meant the
virtual ip that is used for clients to access to cluster.
But there's something that I'm loosing. Director nodes (meaning the nodes
that balances requests from clients) don't use apache for anything

correct. I was talking about apache on the realserver doing something special with your special url.

Once the cluster node gets the request it looks to apache configuration and
whatever to serve this request.

yes

So when a Director node receives a request for a special web application
that is only in one cluster node (for example node35)

no. The director just sees the IP on the packet. It doesn't know that you have 1024 virtual IPs/URLs using that IP. The
packets for your whole range of virtual IPs will be sent to
the realservers as if they all were to one site.

please edit your postings. We don't need 3 levels of your disclaimer

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!