Re: Load balanced mail system

Subject: Re: Load balanced mail system
From: "Scott J. Henson" <scotth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:07:17 -0500
Mark wrote:

Maybe I am misinterpreting this, but it sounds like each mailbox is assigned to
exactly one realserver?
So you have distributed the mailboxes for load-balancing, but is there any
redundancy if one of the boxes goes down?

Nope, your not misinterpreting anything. With mail you can't really have the type of redundancy you can have with say a webserver serving out content. The problem is that imap doesn't like to be distributed. The only way is to do it over something like iSCSI or fiberchannel or some other enterprise level storage medium. What we are doing is to distribute load and to provide some redundancy. If one mail box goes down then we bring up the hot spare, but most of our mail boxes still stay up. Also if one has a failed RAID, then we can move all the mail boxes off of it and bring it down, repair the raid, then bring it back up and move the mail boxes back. It really offers more flexibility and does increase the redundancy on a site level.