RE: Load balanced mail system

Subject: RE: Load balanced mail system
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:47:39 +0000
On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 12:39 -0800, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> Whenever I've had NFS mounts and machines crash, I wind up
> with stale file handles, which I can only fix by rebooting
> both the server and the client. Assuming that machines crash
> occassionally, what sort of hygiene do you exercise to not
> wind up with stale file handles, or if you do get them, what
> do you do about it?

Nothing - although my colleagues managing the non-LVS platform may have
different experiences; I'd ask them but it's nearly 2100 here and we're
all at home.

In my experience so far, I very occasionally get stale file handles
reported in the logs (Courier IMAP server) but they're nicely shut off
by the NFS client when detected and forgotten about. The servers (the
NetApp filer appliances) don't ever, ever complain about them.

> You say your setup is realiable, so maybe you don't have to
> deal with the problem, but would your setup survive pulling
> a few power cables, waiting 30mins and plugging them back
> in?

Unfortunately we've suffered two total power outages (only short, but
still total) in the last twelve months - long, long story - and
everything survived. Even the fact that the realservers came up before
the filers didn't cause a problem, once the filers reappeared the
realservers remounted the filesystems and the show continued.

I haven't yet experienced an unreliable realserver either, but we do
keep them closely monitored and restrict the tasks they have (in terms
of variance). Maybe I'll turn up tomorrow and get my ass bitten by some
horrible bug, but fingers crossed it hasn't happened yet!

Maybe the Linux NFS client is better now than it used to be? Correction
- it definitely is better than it used to be.

Graeme