RE: Load balanced mail system

Subject: RE: Load balanced mail system
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:39:34 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Graeme Fowler wrote:

My day job sees me working for an ISP; we have a number of mail systems
where we use multiple frontend servers (some behind LVS, some using
other methods) with NetApp Filer backends offering mail storage over NFS
mounts to the real/frontend servers. They handle SMTP, POP, IMAP,
Webmail (and other things not necessarily mail related) but store the
data on common NFS mounts.

Whenever I've had NFS mounts and machines crash, I wind up with stale file handles, which I can only fix by rebooting both the server and the client. Assuming that machines crash occassionally, what sort of hygiene do you exercise to not wind up with stale file handles, or if you do get them, what do you do about it?

You say your setup is realiable, so maybe you don't have to
deal with the problem, but would your setup survive pulling
a few power cables, waiting 30mins and plugging them back in?

Thanks Joe

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!