temporarily removing a server from rotation

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: temporarily removing a server from rotation
From: Jacob Smullyan <jsmullyan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:48:00 -0500
Hi --

It is a tribute to lvs that I've forgotten most of what I once knew
about it, because I set up LVS-DR with keepalived about three years
ago and it has run without a hiccup ever since.  As a result, I'm
rusty, so forgive me if this is a stupid or frequently asked question.

How should I go about taking a server temporarily out of rotation?
Since I am using keepalived, I know I can simply turn off the service
it depends on -- but in fact I want to replace that service with a new
application on the same port (which will go live a few minutes/hours
later).   I am aware of some alternatives:

  * configure keepalived's health check to rely on some aspect on the
old application,
    then swap the configuration when I want to go live with the new
application.
  * temporarily run the new application on a different ip.
  * simply comment out that realserver in keepalived.conf temporarily,
or add a healthcheck
    that will never be satisfied.
  * directly delete the ipvsadm config for that server (but what about
the backup director, and
    how if at all will keepalived interfere with that?)
  * get a job more suitable for a dim-witted person like myself.

But all these are workarounds; what I really want is to tell the
director (or keepalived), "retain all configuration, but temporarily
drop this realserver until I remove the block".  Is there a way to do
that?

Cheers,

Jacob Smullyan