Re: lar's method

Subject: Re: lar's method
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 04:58:55 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

However, I may be running into some issues concerning this set up.

Maybe you can share your thoughts on the following:
- our network team isn't that fond of the idea of routing pakkets that have a different from address that the subnet it's on
- they say that the uplink to the director is used only half duplex.

Well there are only inbound packets to VIP:lvs_port to the director (except ICMP which can go out) so make sure you understand

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html#Pearthree

It's the job of the IT/networking/administration/whatever to make sure that nothing goes wrong in their little world. It is not their job to help you or allow people to do work. Nothing is more terrifying to these people than a sysadmin to wants to do something really radical like change /etc/fstab. You're going to have to find someone (or do it yourself) to sit on these people or educate them that in a distributed environment that's been setup for redundancy and loadsharing that boxes all over the place are going to have to be sending back packets from the VIP or else it wont work. Otherwise you'll have to buy a much more expensive 64-way SMP machine with a terabyte of memory and 10GigE networking and the only way you can get the budget to do that is if you fire one of them. These people are only worried about their jobs and can't think beyond the standard configuration specification.

I did find a networking person here who thought LVS was really neat, once I explained what was going on. Maybe you could give a talk on LVS to your networking people. There's got to be someone there who thinks it's neat.

(I really don't know what to do with these people sorry - I have a whole building of them at my work and it drives me nuts)

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!