Re: Multiple external interfaces on the director

Subject: Re: Multiple external interfaces on the director
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:49:31 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Ken Brownfield wrote:

I've done a lot of googling and archive searching, so I've seen the general fwmark state tracking described. Reading this, it seems like this patch isn't exactly approved or even obviously available. And the article is from 2002. :)

-sh scheduling is a standard (but little used) part of LVS. AFAIK, you just set up the -SH scheduling and go - there's no patching. There isn't much in the way of examples in the HOWTO. I just looked in the mailing list archive and there's no useful info there either (just me asking if anyone has used it, and making comments to people like you that it's available).

It looks like we're still waiting for the first user to get it going.

I'm also not sure why this seems like such a difficult problem. If LVS honored routes, there would be no complicated hacks required.

LVS doesn't know anything about routes to the outside world - it just pushes a packet with src_addr=VIP,dst_addr into the output queue. However netfilter gets it before it exits from the director.

This is how it was for 2.0 and 2.2 kernels. How it works for
2.4 I don't know.

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-NAT.html#lvs_nat_src_addr_reply

This is peripheral to your interest but just in case

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.dynamic_routing.html

Unless LVS overrides routes, in which case it might be nice to have a switch to turn off that optimization.

setting up routes as you've done is tricky. Since the iproute2 tools were around when the -SH scheduler was written, I would assume the iproute2 tools won't do what you want.

Netfilter and LVS had some unfortunate interactions

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.filter_rules.html#filter_rules_intro

Julian's nfct code is not used much so we don't hear a lot about it. It came after the -SH scheduler. Maybe the -SH scheduler shouldn't be neede if the netfilter problems really have been cleaned up.

Would be glad to hear of anything you figure out.

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!