Re: Question about lvs architecture.

Subject: Re: Question about lvs architecture.
From: Martijn Grendelman <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:09:28 +0200
Hi,

i don't understand the need though for session persistence like this;
i'd expect a centralized session manager (msession for instance) or
just using a central database for the information would suffice.
that's how i've been doing it, not sure why everyone has all these
unique requirements to make sure they can persist sessions across IP
addresses and AOL proxies and such.

A centralized session manager would be nice, but I for one haven't been able to find a decent solution for use with PHP. I don't know about other systems or APIs.

Msession is dead (I still have it running, but any attempt to build a stable daemon on an up-to-date system failed time after time) and its successor (MCache) seems to have died before it even got to beta.

Other projects I have looked at (http://www.vl-srm.net/, for example) are also dead, or just aren't suitable (Memcached).

I use Msession for a shared hosting cluster. The main advantage is, that Msession has a PHP extension, so it doesn't require any PHP client code. I need this, because I don't want to implement any dirty hacks based on "auto_prepend_file" or something like that, which I would need if I'd put my sessions in MySQL.

Well, you can always buy Zend Platform, which features Session Clustering, but some of us don't have the $$$.

Any suggestions for alternatives?

Best regards,

Martijn Grendelman

 seems overkill, i've never had a
problem. of course, i don't know your specific application, but it
sounds on the level of an HTTP request...