Re[2]: Getting started with LVS

Subject: Re[2]: Getting started with LVS
From: Alex <alshu@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 22:45:24 +0300
>> >1) Heartbeat / ldirectord vs. keepalived / vpprd
>> >I saw a comparison of the two that was written three years ago.  Today,
>> >why would I want one rather than the other?
>> I would recommend using LVS + keepalived with VRRPv2. Using that you can
>> set up loadbalancing between two loadbalancers which cannot be done by
>> Hearbeat + ldirectrod. Withe the former two lvs directors would function
>> for handling requests for multiple ips and redirecting them to real
>> servers and if one server is down the other would take the charge of the
>> failed server.
FG> what about session sync between ipvs master and slave? is still possible
when
FG> doing active-active lvs ?
FG> I'm talking about this:
FG> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/sync.html
FG> thx

   Hello Francisco,
   Yes, when i ask this question to Alexandre Cassen (author of
Keepalived) i got positive answer:

>    2. At the UltraMonkey site in the LVS page in 'Connection
>    Synchronisation' section i found next info: "...This is done by an
>    in-kernel synchronisation daemon that is part of LVS. The daemon on
>    the active linux-director periodically sends out the neccessary connection
>    information for the active connections using multicast UDP...".
>    As i am understanding this means that Keepalived has this
>    capability (Connection Synchronisation) too so as this is LVS core
>    supported capability?

yes, LVS (called IPVS in the kernel space), implement a kernel
synchronization daemon. Keepalived offer a way to drive this syncd from
userspace throught the VRRP configuration keyword :
"lvs_sync_daemon_interface" (look at keepalived.conf.SYNOPSIS file present
in tarball for more informations).

   P.S.  You can also use balancers statistic gathering tool from Alexandre -
LVSGSP (see http://linuxvirtualserver.org/~acassen/).

   Regards,
   Alex